Friday, October 17, 2008

Birds-Eye View



I had the pleasure of visiting my sister and nieces this evening. They have two parrots, Oliver and George. In these pictures, Oliver is perched in front of a window which he looks out of for countless hours. I have wondered often what he sees and what he thinks as other birds fly past the window. Is he happy to be in a loving home with protection from nature's elements or does he envy the freedom of the birds outside? Strange how relationships are similar. To be in a relationship is attractive in that it does provide security and familiarity and yet being 'free' denotes a sense of excitement and variety. I'd choose the relationship, as odd as that may seem for those who know my 'track-record'. I think Oliver would choose the security and loving home as well.
In these images I purposely tried to capture silhouettes, one more partial than the other. Hope you enjoy the birds-eye view too!

2 comments:

trishalyn said...

Great analogy, Steve...and I loved your visuals! At first impression, the top image was my favorite. I liked how the light was shining on Oliver. But the more I looked, the more I was drawn to the bottom image. I love silhouettes (as everyone must know by now!) and you captured a great one of Oliver. I wonder what he is thinking?!

J.L.Velez said...

I'm in love with the first image because (and this probably sounds weird) it reminds me sooooo much of The Maltese Falcon, an old black and white film with Humphrey Bogart. It's an old "Whodunit" movie and I am just strange like that. To me, it shows a sense of adventure amd mystery as the bird is preparing for flight. That bird looks like he wants to fly free...but I'd choose the relationship too. I enjoy freedom, but there's just something about real honest companionship that can't be beat!