Friday, April 17, 2009

No Big Apple!


Amsterdam, the city which I call home, is no Manhattan! Buildings and houses are in rough shape, businesses sit empty and the city is, in my opinion, depressing. After visiting NYC, Amsterdam's problems jumped out at me this morning as I drove around. I know, there are nice areas of the city...those areas aren't what I am talking about here.

Waterfalls hidden behind fences and old factory buildings are commonplace. How about using some of the trillions of dollars in bailouts to beauty our cities?

Amsterdam is crumbling below us. Will the Northeast return to its beautiful state?

4 comments:

trishalyn said...

Beautiful b/w images, Steve! They remind me of the great ones from the 1920's and 30's, in which blight and social injustices were brought to America's attention. Very well done!!!

J.L.Velez said...

That third one...beautifully tragic would be the way I would describe it. Great lines and b/w really makes this an emotional series. Another great one for a show!

Bridget said...

these are wonderful in the saddest way.
i also love the last one.
black and white certainly works in this series.

Linda said...

Great images--especially in b/w. Very photojournalistic. That might be a good fieldtrip for us--photographing Amsterdam.