Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Farm Life


There are so many working farms in our area and many more farms that are decaying and abandoned. I wish our government had, years ago, made policy that supported individually owned farms. I wonder if it is too late to save the struggling farmers. Like so many other industries, farming has long suffered the losses of profits, higher prices and government regulation. To me farms represent so much that is American- hard work, pride, family tradition and unselfish productivity. In this photo I purposely used a filter to "age" the image as farming in America extends to the very beginnings of the nation.

4 comments:

J.L.Velez said...

I can see the filter and I like what it does to your interpretation of the farm and what it stands for. Our country was truly founded on the backs of those hardworking farmers, those who worked the land and then fought so vehemently for it's freedom. I too have always admired their will and dedication. Great idea for today's post.

Bridget said...

nice composition ,the filter works very well with this image.
i hold farmers in very high esteem and am also saddened to see a farm in disrepair or a farmer working another job to maintain his farm.this is a bailout i caould get behind!

Linda said...

Truly beautiful! You know I love farm buildings, and this kind of sepia type filter is perfect for this image. I, too, grieve when I see the buildings in such states of disrepair and disuse. We're fortunate to live where we do so that we can see them before they completely disappear.

trishalyn said...

This is great, Steve...looks like it should be in a magazine or book! I, too, love the sepia tone...it is perfect for this photo. It is a very well composed image, too, utilizing 3 horizontal layers. Wonderful job!!!