Friday, April 10, 2009

Ghostly Lights and Shadows


Another abandoned house. Another adventure for me. This home, a fairly modern one, was eerie in that the light streamed through the curtains in a haunting manner. Above, I helped reproduce the feeling of a spirit world with a few turns of the lens during a longer exposure. Below, a stack of dresser drawers, with clothing items still in them indicated a quick or careless exit by the family. There were some clothes still hanging in the closets throughout the house. This added to the feeling that I was not alone.

Again, to capture an image that represented my goosebumps, I tried to create a sense of eeriness below. I think it works. Could it have been a spirit passing through the door as I stood in the hallway, leering inside the room?

Sadness. Rejection. Abandonment. If a house feels, this scene explains it all. What stands behind these curtains looking out at an overgrown lawn.



Reflections of yesteryear. Bright light streaming in through bare and broken windows do little to hide the emptiness of this house. Neighbors? A large highway on one side and a "Wizard of Oz-Like" forest on the other. Today I was the cowardly Lion.

7 comments:

Linda said...

Great images and great opportunity. There aren't many of those opportunities here--every square inch of everything is in use--no abandoned buildings that I've noticed.

Nice effects to make things look even spookier.

J.L.Velez said...

They're all beautiful...can't pick a favorite. Maybe the drawers with the piece of clothing. That really hits an emotional chord in me for some reason. What tales would the house tell if it could? Wow, these are so beautiful. I think I need permission again to frame one of them? Pretty please?

Unknown said...

Hey love the pic nice job with the filters

Bridget said...

spookey.
love the last one.
remeber you can call me if you need to get bailed out:)

Unknown said...

I love the pic with the red clothing in it. Adds character to the pic.keep up the great work

trishalyn said...

Where DO you find these places?! And you are no cowardly lion. I would never have the courage to do what you did! These are great images, Steve. My two favorites are the last one with the jug (I love reflections, you know!) and the drawers with the red piece of clothing. Did you set that up? Was that item of clothing in the drawer? Or did you bring it with you?
:-) How lucky for you that it happened to be a bright, red color. Really nice images...and I applaud your courage!!!

Anonymous said...

if you enlarge the photo, the clothing looked like an american flag...was it?...odd if it was...

...and yes you're very brave...it's also called trespassing, also called a day in the pokey..get the hint!...be careful..... ;)