Friday, December 26, 2008

The Sanford Farms- A Throw Back To Amsterdam's "Better" Days



I know this farm has been photographed a million times; however, I am always captivated as I drive past the old barns. Today, the doors below caught my attention first because they almost looked black and white, with rusty-gold hinges. After taking those images, I looked up to see broken windows.


Always a fan of "spooky" places, I was first intrigued by the windows' broken glass. I can always use my imagination to create a story of haunting. In fact, at this moment, I'm watching "Ghost Whisperer". Could farm hands be working inside the barn on a cold winter day, caring for the horses, pitching hay and filling troughs for hungry animals? In some other dimension could the Sanford farm be just as profitable and busy?



I like these doors. As I said, the light makes the doors appear somewhat colorless, leaving those rusty hinges to shine in the bright sun. Shut tight and locked, the barns house beautiful horses and men and women hard at work. If only I could reach the height of those windows I would peer inside to catch a glimpse of the magic.





4 comments:

Linda said...

Love the images and the thoughts that go with them. Good capture.

trishalyn said...

I really love all these images, but especially the ones of the doors! Did you manipulate them in any way? The doors almost look like a drawing. Please tell! :-) Every time I drive past the Sanford barns, I want to photograph them, but it's never a convenient time. Great job, Steve!!!

Bridget said...

great work steve.
the barn door with the hinges are my favorites.
the sanford farm also calls me.

J.L.Velez said...

I love the one of the window with the broken panes. I really enjoy the photography of old things and you always do such an awesome job!