Saturday, August 29, 2009

Senator Kennedy


Maybe because I'm a history buff and perhaps because I love American politics, I watched the Senator's funeral today. I'm always impressed with the dedication of public servants even if I do not personally agree with any one individuals point of view. The armed services, the religious leaders, family, colleagues and friends all behave so nobly in the state funerals. I remember Ronald Reagan's funeral and the heartbreaking, yet dignified way that Nancy Reagan conducted herself. At these state funerals the singing of God Bless America always tugs at me along with Ave Maria. And I can't keep dry eyes when Taps is played on the bugle. And so, with today's funeral, I was inspired to find a picture of something stately. This image is one pillar of a bank in downtown Amsterdam. The glow isn't from a filter but two flood lights that were on the roof. I did add a blur which then created a heavenly light.

7 comments:

Zezee's View said...

Great post, photo and commentary. I agree with you that these events do tug at one's heart.

trishalyn said...

LOVE IT! As I "oohed" and "aahed" over yet another very appealing image, I wondered...don't you EVER do "ordinary"?

Seriously...great post! :-)

Zuzana said...

Interesting image of a stunning structure. I love columns, as they have a geometrical precision, yet feel at all time artistically pleasing.
A fitting image for a solemn occasion.

J.L.Velez said...

I liked the angle you used, it really made for a dramatic photo!

Linda said...

Very nice image. Love the angle and the filter. Gives a nice twist to an object that we either don't notice or take for granted when we do look at it.

philmary said...

Every day I look at the columns at the court house during lunch.I think they are poured concrete..Your columns are beautiful also it that they must be cut stone placed upon each other ..You can see the seams which girdle the structure

Bridget said...

terrific image.
great job capturing the perfect mood .