Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Behind The Mask - Early Assignment


This Thursday's assignment, given by Jayme, is "Behind The Mask". This photo is my interpretation of that assignment. I hope the symbols and mood are obvious. I wanted to include different "masks" that one can hide behind. One mask can be destructive whereas many masks, to hide behind, is paralyzing. I wanted to show the religious aspect, seen in the mirror. There is also the quiet and personal despair that some feel, out of view of others. I wanted to include the reflection of oneself where there is a disconnect between the real and the perceived. I added dark shadows and bright light as a symbolic tug of war and made the picture black and white for the same purpose...symbolically...good vs evil.
Don't you know it will never last
This face hidden behind the mask

9 comments:

Zuzana said...

Very impressive.
This is a perfect example how a picture can speak louder than words.

I love the fact that the impression changes upon a closer examination. I get a completely different feeling from seeing it immediately, in the first moments, when it invokes a feeling of despair and hopelessness.
Later when re-examining it after reading your comments, it truly feels more like a disconnection between real and perceived.

Who is the man?

J.L.Velez said...

There are so many great elements to this picture and I think you did a great job with this assignment. The B/W is powerful while the pose and the cross in the top left leave the viewer with questions...wanting to know more. Again, you deliver such provoking image. I could see as the center of a BW series, all somehow connected. Really amazing shot!

trishalyn said...

I'm speechless!!! The thought you put into this assignment speaks for itself. The image is incredible; the writing amazing. You are in a league all by yourself...a truly impressive posting!!!

Bridget said...

too good.
i can feel such conflict i almost called you.
wonderful interprtation of the assignment.
GREAT image.

Zezee's View said...

As I told you earlier - Wow! I can't even put into words how wonderful this is!

ninth sunn said...

purely awesome! the angle, the contrast, the effect. composition. top class! brilliant piece of work.

...i think therefore i am.

Linda said...

This is really a great interpretation of the assignment and a wonderful image. Good for you for being so brave and bold and intrspective.

philmary said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
philmary said...

Great Great great

I see ...Sinner in the hands of an angry God